- New American StatusTo be eligible for the Fellowship, one of the following five statements must be true:
- You have been naturalized as a US citizen either on your own or as a minor child under the application of one of your parents.
- You are – or will, by the application deadline, be – in possession of a valid green card. (Note: if you have a green card application pending and hope it will be approved by the application deadline, please wait to submit your application until you actually receive your green card.)
- You are a US citizen by birth, but neither of your birth parents was a US citizen or eligible for US citizenship at the time of his or her birth.
- You were born outside of the United States or one of its territories and were subsequently adopted by American parents and were awarded US citizenship as a result of your adoption. To the best of your knowledge, neither of your birth parents was a US citizen.
- You have been – or by the application deadline will have been – granted deferred action under the government’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. (Note: if you have a DACA application pending and hope it will be approved by the application deadline, please wait to submit your application until you actually have been granted DACA status.)
Note: If you are identified as a potential finalist, you will need to provide documentary evidence of your eligibility as a New American.
- AgeYou must not have reached or passed your 31st birthday as of November 1, 2015. In other words, you must have been born after November 1, 1984. There is no minimum age limit.
- Academic StandingYou must already hold a bachelor’s degree or be a college senior in good academic standing. You may currently be enrolled in a graduate degree program other than the one for which you hope to receive PD Soros support in the 2016-17 academic year.If you are applying to, or have already been accepted by a graduate program for the 2016-17 academic year, you will have to identify the type of graduate degree for which you would like to receive PD Soros support on the PD Soros application.
You may, as of November 1, 2015, already be enrolled in a single graduate degree program for which you hope to receive PD Soros support in the 2016-17 academic year and subsequently. In that case,
- You must not have begun a third year of work on that degree as of November 1, 2015, and
- The degree requirements must involve your full-time study during the full 2016-17 academic year.
You may, as of November 1, 2015, be enrolled in a joint degree program – or in two separate graduate degree programs. In that case,
- You must not have begun a third year of work on that degree as of November 1, 2015,
- The degree requirements must involve your full-time study during the 2016-17 academic year, and
- You may be at a more advanced stage in pursuit of your other graduate degree, but you will not be able to receive PD Soros support for that degree if you have already begun a third or subsequent year of work on that degree
Click on this Link to Apply: Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans